Friday, August 3, 2007

Thing 22 Audiobooks

This was the easiest for me because I'm already an audiobookaholic. I have used both Overdrive and Net Library. Net Library is nice in that there are unlimited copies of the books available. The draw back is having to register at the library ahead of time and needing to remember a login. The other drawback of net library is that to be able to listen to the audiobook on an MP3 player you have to download the higher quality larger file. Then when you download them to your MP3 player it downloads as one file. If you lose your place you have to start at the beginning or may have to fast forward through hours of book. I prefer the Overdrive system. You just use your library card number to check out a book. Overdrive books download in ~1 hour segments, less repeat if you lose your place. The draw back is that there are a limited number of copies available to check out. Since the check out period is always 3 weeks (can't return it early) if you get put on a waiting list, everyone ahead of you gets a 3 week turn so the wait for books can be months. PGCMLS dealt with this by forming it's own overdrive selection of books. Trouble there is they're not getting many of the new books that come out. I did a quick look at 6 books that have come out since June 1. PG County's overdrive had 1 of the books and Maryland Consortium had 5 of the 6. Trade off, fewer books but sooner access. I'll keep my card with another county so I have access to both!

No comments: